Friday, January 27, 2006

Grammy Central: Best Female Country Vocal Performance


In case you haven't already heard, this year's Grammy performers include Bruce Springstein, U2 with Mary J. Blige, Mariah Carey, Keith Urban with Faith Hill, John Legend, Kanye West, and Coldplay (who I just saw here in Seattle this week and were absolutely amazing).

Let's peek into the country field, shall we?

Best Female Country Vocal Performance

The Connection - Emmylou Harris
Mississippi Girl - Faith Hill
All Jacked Up - Gretchen Wilson
I May Hate Myself in the Morning - Lee Ann Womack
Georgia Rain - Trisha Yearwood

Such a tough, tough category. I'm not much of a Faith Hill fan, but she earned her nomination solidly this time around with a stunning number. Emmylou Harris is always nominated, and expect her to be in this category next year with her single from the "Brokeback Mountain" soundtrack.

My prediction is that Faith Hill will win, mainly because she's performing on the show and the PR of her appearance will sway votes in her favor. But I wouldn't be surprised if either of the other nominees, primarily Wilson or Womack, takes it.

My personal pick is Lee Ann Womack. I heart Trisha Yearwood. She's one of my absolute favorite female artists in the biz. And Wilson is the new cool in country music. She's dynamite. But when it comes down to one song, Womack's daring cheating tune is simply too good to overlook.

Photo of Gretchen Wilson, courtesy of Sony/BMG Records

No comments: