Sunday, August 20, 2006

Out On Screen: Hie thee to Vancouver!


It's already Sunday morning, and I'm really sorry if you missed any Out On Screen films because you were waiting for me. I know, I'm a late-night blogger, but boy, do I have a lot to fill you in on! Last night's films at the Cinemark Tinseltown were a mixed bag: the shorts were a little uneven (that sounded vaguely sexul, didn't it?), and the New Zealand film, 50 Ways of Saying Fabulous had a charming naivete. The winner was Queens (Reinas), a comedy/melodrama about the first gay weddings in Spain. It stars Carmen Maura, Veronica Forque and Marisa Paredes as mothers of three of the grooms. It replays Monday, same time (9:30 pm), same station (Tinseltown). But I'll have a chance to tell you more later -- check out the SGN in a few weeks, as Reinas comes to the Harvard Exit on September 29th.

And if you were hanging around, waiting for me to show up at the Festival gSpot (that's "g" for "gathering," silly) then I'm doubly sorry you were disappointed. As happens with festivals, the movies started behind schedule and stayed there, and while the Honey Lounge is just across the street from the Tinseltown theatres, as a solo lady I was loathe to make my way home via public transportation so late at night. I'm sure you drank enough for the both of us.

So why haven't I written earlier? Doll-face, there is so much happening in Vancouver, I hardly know what to do with myself when I roll out of bed! After a peek at my breathtaking view from the Sandman Suites on Davie, and a yummy breakfast (I recommend you check out the hotel's restaurant, Moxie's Classic Grill), I had to get in a little sightseeing. Did you know that there's a city bus that will take you all the way to Grouse Mountain? It's mostly heaven to get around Vancouver via bus, other than late night trips through questionable neighborhoods... but I'll tell you more about solo travel when I get back to Seattle.

Grizzly Bear at Grouse Mountain ...
behind an electrified fence. I promise.


Meanwhile, even I can't see movies all day, every day, so tonight I took myself hence... to Vanier Park and and Bard on the Beach! I loves me some Shakespeare, and I think you'll enjoy this re-telling of the Iliad - er, I mean Troilus and Cressida, from the point of view of the American Civil War. The staging is simple and effective. And Achilles and Patroclus are h-o-t. Othe plays performed this season are A Midsummer Night's Dream, Measure for Measure, and the rarely seen The Winter's Tale. I'm sure they're all good, but grab a ticket for MSND quick, since it's almost sold out.

Even though I'll be missing tonight's... I mean, tomorrow's Out On Screen films -- hey, I have to get back to work on Monday, remember? -- here are some recommendations: The director of Women In Love (5:00 pm, Tinseltown) will be in attendance for a Q&A. Karen Everett uses a compilation of video diaries, home video and interviews to explore the world of Lesbian love. My pick for the evening follows at 7:00 pm. I Know That I Am was literally smuggled out of Iran thanks to the tenacity of director Peyman Khosravi. It tells the story of Transgendered in a country where sexual "deviancy" is punishable by hanging. A post-film party takes place across the street at the gSpot at 9:30. Or you can check out the films at the Pacific Cinematheque (1131 Howe Street at Helmcken). Fabulous! The Story of Queer Cinema takes a look at Gay representation in film that promises to pick up where Vito Russo's The Celluloid Closet left off. That starts at 7:00 pm, and is followed at 9:30 by Pow! Wow!, a program of shorts showcasing aboriginal -- First Nations or Native American -- shorts.

I'll blog one more time from Vancouver with suggestions for what to see during the rest of the festival, as well as some other events and resources for your Vancouver travel. Sweet dreams!
Updated to add photos: Top - photo of Queens courtesy Out On Screen; photo of Grouse Mountain Grizzly by Lorelei; photo of I Know That I Am director Peyman Khosravi courtesy Out On Screen.

No comments: