Saturday, September 24, 2011

Nirvana's "Nevermind" turns 20 years old today


Seattle Gay News joins the local music community and Nirvana fans around the world in celebrating the 20-year anniversary of the band's groundbreaking album, Nevermind.

The album, released on September 24, 1991, would prove to be a pivotal recording in rock music and would soon create superstars in the form of Kurt Cobain, Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic.

Songs like "Smells Like Teen Spirit", "Come As You Are" and "Lithium" became instant classics and are still listened to regularly to this day.

When I lived in Europe some time ago, the thing most people connected to Seattle was "Nirvana" and often people would tell me how many times they listened to Nevermind. I remember going into a bar in Paris' 5th arr. and the bartender asked where I was from, and when I said "Seattle" he immediately played "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the pub's stereo system.

It has been an amazing 20 years telling people I come from the same city as Nirvana.

Happy Anniversary, Nevermind!

No comments: